Wednesday 4 December 2013

I Never Want to Look at a Rope Again


After asking several people which route I should take with the rope, a cylinder, parallax occlusion mapping, tessellation and magic, I decided to test out the cylinder.


This was just a really quick bake to see if it would work out, and it held better than I thought it would.




The normals that I got from the bake were ridiculously messy.  I was guessing the waves were from the low poly mesh being too low compared to the high, and the artifacts were from where the cylinders intersect and the cage getting all jumbled up.

So what I decided to to was go in and hand paint over the messy bits.  This is what it look like at the minute, I'll add rope fiber normals after I have done the texture.


The texture was a bit hard to get right at first.  I had to go in and paint red lines over my cleaned up normals to see where the ropes sat.





Well, this is coming along nicely now, I just want it finished and to move onto other assets.  It has taken me a long time to get this far, it's always going to be harder when you first start as you just make so many mistakes.  I'm pretty certain the process will speed up a heck of a lot after I have got my first 3 assets entirely finished.

In regards to the bucket, I'll probably play around with the fibre normals a bit more, get some alpha planes in there for the rope fibers and fill the bucket with some water.  I have been playing around with fluid actors in UDK but I'll have to see if there are any better ways to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment